Friday, December 29, 2006

Table For One

I made a pot roast today.

Wandering through the grocery store the other day, I gazed longingly at a lovely pot roast that was on sale. But I moved on regretfully, because everyone knows that you can’t make a pot roast for one person. Ridiculous. Absurd. It’s just not done.

And then I thought, why not? So what if I end up eating pot roast for a week! Heck, I could even throw the darn thing out after one meal if I wanted to, and it would still cost less than one dinner out at a restaurant.

So I bought a pot roast.

Of course going through the checkout stand I was guiltily convinced that everyone knew that I was a decadent single woman cooking a pot roast just for herself. So what do I do? I start EXPLAINING myself to the woman in line behind me! No – really! There I was babbling on about the cost effectiveness of a single person buying a pot roast, while this poor woman looked around frantically for some kind of Adult Day Care provider that surely must have lost track of me. Fortunately I was saved from myself by a checker who drug my cart over to a newly opened cash register. The other woman stayed where she was.

So this morning I was planning my day around my pot roast, when it suddenly dawned on me that not only could I cook a pot roast for myself, but I could cook it anytime I wanted too!

I could cook my pot roast at 6 in the morning and eat it for breakfast if that was what struck my fancy. I had no one that I needed to please but myself. What an entirely liberating idea.

So I popped my pot roast into the oven at 11:00 a.m. and have been nibbling at it all afternoon.

And you know what? That is the best damn pot roast I’ve eaten in a very long time.

2 comments:

Marieke said...

You go girl!

It's fun to cook for yourself, and leftovers really ARE handy. You can even freeze some pot roast for an even later date.

It was fun to meet you last night...hopefully I'll get a chance to chat a bit more with you next week (it was kind of a crazy knit group night - even I didn't know a feel oldies that were there and I've been going for a few months now).

HollyGL said...

Marieke -

Definately looking forward to getting to see you next week! I've never tried freezing pot roast before, but I think I'll give it a shot. The worst that can happen to it is that it becomes disgusting when thawed and I'll throw it out! Whats to loose?!?!