Wednesday, December 27, 2006

A Small Step Forward

It always amazes me how quickly things can change in one short year.

Last year at this time, I was busily planning a New Year's feast for myself and my husband. Now this year, I am planning my divorce.

But while one relationship in my life is ending, if there has been an overall theme to this last year, it would be that of reconnection.

I attended my cousin's wedding in Oregon, and once again reaffirmed that no matter where we go, or how far we travel, Family is always just a step away, standing with open arms, acceptance and love.

My Mother and I spent a week together in Hawaii, strengthening a bond that only a mother and daughter coming together for the first time as women can truly appreciate.

Two old friends have reentered my life after a six year absence, proving that time and distance won't break the bonds of friendship.

My restless feet have taken me back to the city that I lived in twenty-four years ago, when I first moved to California. This seaside town promises to offer the peace and sense of community that has felt so lacking for me in recent years.

This last year has taken me places that I didn't plan. But as one friend likes to say - The best way to make God laugh is to tell him what YOUR plans for the future are!

So as this year begins to draw to a close, I'll take a deep breath, cross my fingers and step into 2007.

Who knows what this New Year will bring . . .

4 comments:

Chauntel said...

I have to say, I can't wait to meet you on Thursday. You sound like a strong, determined, happy woman!

Marieke said...

"The best way to make God laugh is to tell him what YOUR plans for the future are!"

I have certainly made God laugh MANY a time! It is interesting to see what life happens while we're making our plans. It turns out happier in the end as I've discovered! So take heart :)

I'm also excited to meet you Thursday! I think you're gonna find quite a few new friends!

Romance said...

Hi there KP-

Wish you were up north in my part of Cali as you sound like a terrific person to know and meet up with in the 'real' world. Sorry things were so rough this year - it was a hard year for many, many people I know in both the real world and the blogsphere. Glad about the reconnections and glad you are back to the Coast. Maybe you will again have the dinner parties and full houses you used to write about. Peace to you - BWB

Let me know if you ever end up this way and we can met up.

Dagny said...

Welcome back to the world of blogging. You have been missed.