Friday, July 27, 2007

A Worthy Task

Today, I will attempt to perform one of the most challenging tasks that a dedicated knitter ever faces.

Teaching a kitten that Mommy's yarn is NOT a cat toy. (And yes, I am one of those childless women - or men for that matter - who treat their pets like babies and call themselves "Mommy". Deal with it.)

I made one disaterous attempt to knit with the Midget in the room and it wasn't a pretty sight. Quicker than you could blink she was in the knitting bag with yarn completely how wrapped around her little body. How she managed to accomplish this in feat in a matter of seconds, will always remain a mystery. She of course thought that my trying to untangle her and get the yarn out of her mouth was a fabulous game! Sadly, it's difficult assert your authority over a determined kitten when you can't stop laughing.

Since then I have found myself frantically searching through my day planner, looking for doctors appointments or any tedious task that would require waiting in line so that I could knit. A junky looking for a fix, I began to invent reasons to visit the craft store, telling myself that I wasn't there to smell the yarn. I cursed the DMV for not requiring me renew my drivers license in person. Yesterday, when I found myself waiting in line at the Post Office during lunch hour to buy stamps that I didn't need, gleefully knitting a cable, I realized that something had to be done.

So today is the day. I'm pulling out a skein of black Cascade 220 to start a helmet liner. I have two cousins who were recently deployed to Iraq, so it seems like a good time to put my needles back to work on a worthy cause.

Wish me luck. I think I'm going to need it!

No comments: