Saturday, July 28, 2007

The Midget


Did I REALLY think that it would be fun to have a kitten in the house again?!?!

Sitting here at 2 o'clock in the morning, with a spray bottle in one hand and a cup of Sleepy Time tea cradled in the other, it is hard to figure out why in gods name I felt the need to adopt a kitten.

For the uninitiated the spray bottle is for squirting the afore mentioned beast in a rather futile attempt to try to tame it into submission. Say for instance that the little darling has decided to climb the living room curtains. As soon as the monster begins to scale the fabric you bellow "No" while hitting the offending feline with a stream of water. Cats loathe water with a passion that people usually reserve for cable repairmen. The only problem with this approach is that when water hits cat, cat goes berserk, breaking anything in it's way to get out of the path of the offending water. Several knick-knacks have met their demise since the arrival of the Midget.

I brought the wild-ass-midget-kitten into our quiet little household a couple of weeks ago. I have another cat, we'll call him Bubba. He's a fat handsome lad of 10 years and has the sweetest laid back disposition you could possibly imagine. Only problem is . . . well . . . . god love him, he's just not that bright! Anyway, since my little Bubba and I had moved, it had become increasingly obvious that we needed a kitten. We had lost custody of his big sister in the divorce, so he was lonely when I wasn't home and he really needed someone to play with, other than me!

Now, it's been ten years since I last adopted a kitten and things have changed dramatically in that time. Used to be you could walk into a shelter and you'd have a plethora of cats and kittens to choose from. But like everything else in our increasingly complex society, nowadays, it ain't that easy.

I had to go on a list. I kid you not. I have been on a kitten wish list since last December. They INTERVIEWED me. Then I filled out an eleventeen page questionaire about my lifestyle, my moral values and my general views on pet care and rearing. I signed a contract in blood, that I would never allow my new kitten out of the house. I was told that before I could take my new kitten home, that it would be spayed or neutered. When I queried the adviseability of ripping a kittens organs out at the tender age of six weeks, I was given a 45-minute lecture about how many animals are abandoned each year. And while I don't mean to make light of the desperate plight of so many animals, I can't quite figure out why I needed to have my poor dear tramatized by a surgery so early in her little life when I have just signed a contract stating that she will never go outside. Maybe cats are self replicating these days.

Anyway, when kitten season came around, I started to hunt for my new baby. Once again the process seems to have changed. You don't just walk in, point to one of the little darlings and say I'll take that one. I had to make an appointment and was only allowed to see certain of the kittens. People were shuttled in and out, with eyes averted and there seemed to be an unspoken rule that none of the potential new families were to talk to one another. Picking a kitten is serious business people.

But when all was said and done, I did finally find my girl. The wild midget is a real beauty queen and knows it. She's a walking photo op just waiting to happen. She's also very bright and stubborn as a mule!

There are many things about kittens that I had forgotten about. Like the fact that they have absolutely no manners. I keep pointing out to her that I don't put my feet in her food, and I expect the same courtesy in return. This is a rule that she seems to find very vexing.

Bringing the new kitten into the house was of course a bit touch and go for a while. Bubba was fascinated by the little monster but didn't seem exactly sure if he should play with her, or beat the bejeezus out of her! Ultimately her completely ingenuous nature disarmed him, and they worked out their differences in remarkably short order.

So tonight the Midget has a wild hair (it isn't a full moon by any chance is it?) and is racing around like a crazed beast. How something so small can make so much noise is entirely beyond my comprehension.

But its worth it. When she finally tires herself out she'll come and plop her pint sized self down by Bubba and I and her little purr is as loud as a mac truck. And they are so adorable curled up together.

Life is good.

No comments: