Monday, July 30, 2007

Butterflies, Bees and Worms

I'm afraid of butterflies.

What can I say - it's a quirk. Every so often, when someone is staring after me with consternation as I shriek and run away from one of these winged creatures, I am forced to explain that the awful little things totally creep me out. This is usually met with dropped jaw amazement mixed with more than a little disbelief.

I'm not sure why people are so amazed by this anxiety of mine. People are afraid of lots of odd things. Clowns are such a well-known phobia that it has become something of a joke. They even made a movie about that one, “Killer Klowns From Outer Space”. A cult classic must see – If you’re not afraid of clowns! I once watched Killer Klowns with a friend who was trying to overcome her extreme reaction to clowns. In a misguided attempt to cure her of her irrational fear, her therapist had urged her to rent the movie. Didn’t work. But I got a good laugh out of watching her!

Strange fears seem to abound these days. Some of them I can kind of understand. Anyone who has ever had their 40th birthday looming in front of them can understand Chronomentrophobia - the fear of clocks. I even get Arachibutyrophobia - fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth. I think they did a “Got Milk” commercial on that one. And any schoolchild will understand Didaskaleinophobia - fear of school.

Fear of cats, or Ailurophobia, is one that I think is rather more common than some people might think. I’ve met an awful lot of people, men in particular, who claim to be “allergic” to cats, and yet I haven’t seen hide nor hair of any sneezes or itches from them. And I personally think there is a link between men who fear cats and misogyny, but that’s a topic for another day.

And first thing each morning when I stumble into the bathroom I exhibit classic symptoms of Catoptrophobia - fear of mirrors.

But what about the fear of mustard? This seems to be a popular one, right up there with fear of pickles, although I haven’t found a name for either one yet. Or my personal favorite, Geniophobia – fear of chins. Chins! For some reason this amuses me. Maybe it's the word "chin".

I can’t help but wonder how many people have to be afraid of something before it is officially given a name? Is there a standard? Ten documented cases and it a quirk, 11 and it becomes a named phobia? Does there have to be an article in Psychology Today?

I hate to admit it, but I think that I may be developing Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia - fear of long words.

So I don’t think that being afraid of butterflies is so weird. I don’t care how pretty they are. They’re just creepy little bugs with wings and they always seem to want to land on me! Actually, I think I’m feeling a screenplay coming on . . . think Alfred Hitchcock’s “Birds”, but replace the birds with Butterflies . . .

That’ll give you nightmares.

5 comments:

Dagny said...

Years ago I went to a nearby butterfly enclosure. They have a person at the exit who checks you. Seems that one with a 10" or so wingspan was trying to hitch a ride out on my back.

Romance said...

I am terrified of butterflies too!!! But my fear stems from traumatic childhood events with catepillars and Tony Metcalf (Tony, if you read this blog you seriously messed up the Monarch migration for me!) Anyway, I hate those fragile little harbingers of adreline and fear. I have a huge scar on my arm from a childhood flight of butterfly terror gone amuck.

Killer Klowns is one of my fave films... love the Dickies soundtrack and lived in SC when the filmed it.. whats not to love...

Glad you are back

bwb

HAR said...

I found your blog in February while I was very sick. I must have checked your blog every day for months. SOOO glad that you are back.
I have just helped rescue some kittens we found in this heat. My heart was drawn to a little male kitten but I have never owned a cat in my life. I also have a dog. My dog is a love but I am really thinking about this before I do it.
Sorry to ramble but when I saw your posts about your baby Midget I was happily surprised.

HollyGL said...

Dagny - EEW! I was at a butterfly farm in Tailand once. I had nightmares for a month!

SC - Maybe they'll name our phobia!

HAR - Thanks so much for visiting! One word of warning. Make sure that your dog has the temperament for living with a cat! It can be done, but in my experience is more easily accomplished with a non-hunting breed of dog.

Gimme a sign said...

Oh lord. My partner and I are taking his niece and nephew to a butterfly conservatory tomorrow. We're actually driving for over an hour for the privilege. Perhaps we should change our plans.