Thursday, January 4, 2007

Paint And Purpose

I love paint.

The smell, the texture, the color. Everything. But especially the color. It can cause me problems, this love affair with color that I have. I'll start painting - a room, a piece of furniture, the cat, whatever - and become simply entranced. I'll stand stock still, brush or roller in hand staring at this marvel of color and texture, watching the light play across the surface and see within it's depths endless possibilities.

I watch paint dry. Literally.

For me, seeing the subtle change of color, the reflection of light and shadow across the surface of wet paint as it slowly dries is endlessly fascinating. Of course, watching paint dry can drastically slow my productivity, as I'm sure you can imagine.

But eventually I'll get to the second coat, because contrary to claims made by certain parties, I do not believe that there really is such a thing as a "One Coat Paint". I personally believe that this is a ploy that was created by the paint manufacturers so that they can charge lazy people more money. The manufacturers know that George is never going to paint a second coat anyway, so they dump a little extra pigment into the mix, tack a couple of bucks on to the price and good ole George goes home happy. So when Emily says, "Honey, do you think it needs a second coat?", George can say to Emily with a clear conscience "Naw! It's a One Coat Paint, Sweety! It's supposed to look like that".

A few pictures of my humble kitchen in the midst of it's transformational paint job.




Charming, isn't it?



See that black thing in the background? Therein you see the main problem with my kitchen. It has virtually no shelving, so I'm using an old bookcase for my dishes. I believe that this is what one calls "re-purposing". Re-purposing is what happens after one goes "dumpster diving".




I took the $50 ladder and left the $1200 sofa behind when I left Himself. My priorities are maybe a bit skewd.

3 comments:

Dagny said...

There just wasn't room in the truck for the sofa, right? ;-)

Calamity Jen said...

A ladder is infinitely more useful than a sofa, no matter what the dollar value.

HollyGL said...

Dagny - How could you think such a thing of me?! It was the living room that ran out of space!

CJ - That's what I keep telling myself!