Wednesday, January 3, 2007

It Could Be Worse

Wednesday is shot day.

I have this thing called Ankylosing Spondylitis. A really big name for a disease that basically means Ouch Dammit!

Since I have no desire to conduct a Health Ed class, I'll just say that diseases like AS and RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) are autoimmune diseases that essentially cause your body to mistakenly attack itself. They are diseases that think they are being helpful. And like the guest who tries to be helpful by putting your dishes away after dinner, it causes no end of problems in spite of its good intentions.

So the doctors have put me on a drug called Enbrel, which I jab into my leg on a weekly basis. And it hurts. Now I know that with any luck this drug will help me in the long run, reducing the pain and fatigue that I experience on a daily basis, but still - that shot Hurts!

I suppose that it’s not really just those couple of minutes of actual pain when that needle pierces the skin that makes me dread shot day. I think that it’s also what the shot represents. This battle in my body that I’ve been fighting since I was a child. I guess that sometimes, I’m just very weary of the struggle and I resent the hell out of that shot because sometimes, it just doesn’t seem fair.

And heaven forbid that I should complain about it! Because then I get an earful about how lucky I am that it's only once a week, that I could be diabetic and need shots all the time, that I could be dying of cancer, that I could need dialysis, that I could - that I could - that I could.

Why is it that we feel the need to belittle our own experiences?

From the time that we are small children we are taught that our experiences, our feelings, the perceived reality of our OWN lives, has no value. Shut up and eat your food, no one cares if you hate brussel sprouts because there are starving children in Ethiopia who are suffering. And by all that’s good you better stop crying or you'll get something to really cry about!

As we struggle through life and encounter the pitfalls and stumbling blocks that happen to all of us, we are told that things could be worse. Why just look at that person who lost their job, or leg or home or child. Our troubles are nothing compared to that.

So we go through life negating our own suffering.

And I can't help but wonder, if we never allow ourselves to experience our own pain, how can we then understand the pain of another and learn compassion? Maybe it is only by standing in our own pain that we can finally move beyond ourselves and into the realm of kindness and understanding. Maybe pain, both mental and physical, exists to help us learn acceptance and tolerance of the frailty that is within us all. Maybe as pain carves itself into our own souls, it creates within us the desire and the need to ease the suffering of others.

Wednesday is shot day. So I’m going to feel sorry for myself. Just for a minute or two. For the sake of mankind, you understand.

5 comments:

Romance said...

I loathe the whole hierarchy of pain and suffering. Its like some kind of misery-filled footrace to see whose pain is the worst!! Dumb, dialetical, dualism... very western.

Pain is pain and it hurts. I used to be an art therapist and worked with folks in medical settings - and what I discovered was that pain was pain was pain. Everyone had a different experience of it - there wasn't a measuring stick to declare the ultimate experience of pain. My clients in Pacific Heights had no less pain that my homeless guys in the Tenderloin and the reality of pain was not dictated by diagnosis or severity of condition or treatment. I hate that cultural tendency to be dismissive because there might be something worse lurking out there. WTF!?!?!

Anyway, sorry you hurt. Sorry you have what sounds like a nasty and painful condition... and really sorry you have to give yourself shots - thats just not fun.

Marieke said...

I totally know what you mean. I posted about something similar about a month ago in terms of grief and taking the time to grieve things, even the little "deaths" that happen in life (the death of a dream, or even the delay of a dream, disappointments, etc), rather than shoving them under the rug since things "could be worse".

HollyGL said...

I knew you guys would understand!

Calamity Jen said...

Why not feel sorry for yourself from time to time? Pain sucks. Needles suck. Anything chronic sucks. I've had an ailment here and there that made me feel sorry for myself , and I have always felt much better -- and stronger -- after indulging in a little self-pity. Anyway, I'LL feel sorry for you, if you like. I hate needles so much that I won't even get the flu shot.

Charlene said...

I have Ankylosing Spondylitis, and I am also on Enbrel.
Let's face it, it sucks?
If we cannot feel sorry for ourselves once in a while, who can? This is a debilitating disease which causes a lot of pain. Not to mention the nasty side effects of the many meds used to treat it.
I think it's ok to feel sorry for yourself once in a while.
But then we pull ourselves out of it and try to continue on.
I hope it's the same for you.
Hang in there fellow ASer,
Char