Sunday, January 7, 2007

Internet Dating Part One

Okay, don't laugh, but I signed up for Match.com.

I KNOW!

I'm not even legally divorced yet, and quite frankly I'm not even entirely sure that I really want to be dating again. It seems like an awful lot of work. But everyone seems to expect it, so I guess I just kinda wanna see what's out there. You know kinda cast out a line and see what's biting.

And man-o-man are they biting!

I put a decent photo of myself on my profile. It's nothing special, just a couple of shots that I snapped with the camera built into my Mac. Certainly not the best photos of myself, but not the worst either. I guess that if I do decide to meet anyone, I'd much rather have them say "Wow! You're much prettier than your photo!" as opposed to "Gee. You didn't mention that you were an expert with Photoshop."

Now, this is not the first time that I've done the Internet dating thing. But the whole thing seems to have gotten completely out of hand. And I know that this is going to sound totally egotistical and like I'm one of those awful former cheerleader types that we all hate so much BUT . . . There are a whole lotta guys out there who if they saw you in public, wouldn't even DREAM of approaching you, who seem to feel that it's perfectly acceptable to approach you on the Internet.

And you KNOW the men of which I speak! Don't you turn your pretty little nose up at me and pretend that you don't know what I'm talking about! You know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

These are the homely, if not downright ugly, men with room temperature IQ's, no job, no money, who will need to take the bus to go on a date with you. Now, I'm not trying to be snotty or mean, it's just . . . . really. Do they HONESTLY think that you'll go out with them?

Some of the men who have responded to my profile are truly astonishing. And I swear to you on my Mother's life that I even received an email from a man recently released from prison. Or maybe he's still in prison. I'm not entirely sure.

And then if you take the time to send out a polite little No Thank You Wish You The Best Of Luck email to them they actually GET MAD AT YOU. They send back hateful email telling you how shallow and awful you are and just because they are 5'2" tall, live in another hemisphere with 57 dogs, and have a perspiration problem does not mean that you should automatically discount them.

But of course if you don't respond to them, they sic Miss Manners on you for not replying. Or they sent a multitude of emails to you saying simply Well? as if you should have jumped to attention the minute you received their email . . . or . . .Are you ever going to answer you snotty b#@$#? (Okay so I just made that one up. No one has really called me any names. Yet.)

But you know what worries me the most? It's not that I could end up going out on a date with a man who put a 30 year old picture up, or that he'll turn out to be a perv or stalker. I worry that I could somehow end up being someone ELSE'S Internet Dating Horror Story. How awful would that be? I can just imagine being at a party somewhere and everybody's laughing about this story about a crazed woman who spilled soup in her lap and then talked about the way the logs were stacked up in the fireplace and then realize that it's ME that they are talking about. It's kinda like that dream where you out in public in your underwear. Only worse.

Because it really COULD happen . . .

5 comments:

Calamity Jen said...

You needn't worry about being on the horror-inducing side of things. I get the feeling that you have more interesting things to talk about than firewood. Unless you end up dating a lumberjack or a chimneysweep.

Dagny said...

Check out Online Misadventures. It was a blog that I co-authored about the ads that guys post and my (mis)adventures in online dating. After that experience, I decided to go back to meeting guys in clubs and bars. I know. Not the best of places but it allowed me to get through the b.s. in person. And I am so with you on the "guys who would not approach you in public thing."

Tracy said...

I can't tell you how much I laughed out loud while reading your post. I did Match for about 6 months a year ago and had the Exact same things happen. In fact, one guy told me that he was much better off without me... Because I sent him a polite No Thank you. Then yes, you ARE better off without me! And you aren't being mean, it's completely true everything you said. It just got to be too much for me so I stopped. I wish you luck and look forward to hearing more fun stories at knitting!!

Tracy from knitting

Romance said...

Ah.... the joys of internet dating... its such a perfect post-break up reentry as far as I am concerned. But its amazing how much language is NOT connected to reality (at least in my experience)in so many cases. I also like the guys who don't even use their own photo... like that would slip past unnoticed....

Calamity Jen said...

So.... how's it going? Inquiring minds want to know.